Friday, May 19, 2017

Easy Peasy Foiling...

Hi! I am so excited to bring you this post today! Craftyscrappers recently introduced a brand new product in the market - Foil Bonding Glue and Transfer Foil sheets.

I have always loved the beautiful effect of foiling on cards. But there are two major stumbling blocks. First the techniques need a laminating machine which seems like a needless expense to me. And second the foils themselves are very expensive. But the new products by Craftyscrappers are very pocket friendly and easy to use. I ordered them immediately and they arrived yesterday. I was too excited to wait and started experimenting. I made several panels and managed to convert one into a card. Here is the result.


I took a scrap piece of paper and covered it with thin double sided tape. I removed the release paper and applied the foil. This was the foil sheet remaining after I had used it with the glue and the Memory Box Texture Mesh stencil. After running it through the Big Shot, I peeled off the foil paper to get a beautiful mesh pattern on my paper. I decided to take this one step further and poured two shades of green glitter on it. I ended up with a lovely glittery panel. Here is a closer look at the panel.



It is difficult to capture the amazing shine in the photo. It looks fabulous in real life!

I trimmed the foiled panel and also a larger rectangle as the mat. The die cut branch is the Vintage Leaf Branch by Nagashri Arts. Sentiment is from Geometrical Patterns stamp set that I designed for Craftyscrappers. I inked a strip of white paper with some green Clearly Kelly dye ink. I cut a thin strip and adhered it across the black card base. I then stamped the sentiment with Versamark and heat embossed with Ranger's clear EP. I then covered the entire panel with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

To finish I simply adhered everything together.

Coming to the new products, I absolutely love them! They are easy to use and very pocket friendly. Here is what I bought.


You can check out Konica's very informative video here. She has given very clear instructions on the usage. I tried both methods - with glue and double sided tape. I found the glue easier to use since the foil paper comes off much easily. However you need to work fast as the glue dries rapidly. It is very easy to clean the stamps and stencils though. I simply wet both and washed off under the trap.

Double sided tape also works well. Only drawback is that the foil paper has to be pulled very firmly.

The foiling is more even if you run it through the die cutting machine. Just rubbing it in with your fingers gives a more distressed look. Here are some of the panels that I created using the foils.

Another small advice is to keep the sheets ready before you start working. They are a bit delicate and require careful handling.


The white panels were made with the foiling glue and Memory Box Texture Mesh stencil. I placed the stencil on the paper and applied the glue with a blending foam. Since the stencil was covered with glue, I simply flipped it and pressed down on another piece of paper. The leaf panel was made using a DIY stamp and kraft card stock. I applied the glue with the blending foam and pressed my panel firmly on top. The pink and kraft panel is made with double sided tape since I wanted to add glitter.

I hope you found my blog post informative. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I am entering this card in the following challenges.

Freshly Made Sketches #288:


Watercooler Wednesday Challenges WWC119 - Masculine Anything Goes:


Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - A Bit Of Sparkle:

HLS May Anything Goes With Dies:



Love,
Nandini

21 comments:

  1. Wow, Nandini, what a beautiful beginning to your experimentation with these new products. I love the results and can imagine that in real life the panel is dazzling. Some of the dazzle shows even through the photograph. A very elegant piece. Thanks so much for joining us with Judy's Masculine anything goes challenge at our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely card - such stunning colours - Lemon/Lime is really the colour of the moment - thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is very Elegant ! Thank you for sharing the info about new product,looks interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pooja. The new foils are really great. Better than I expected actually.

      Delete
  4. Great take on the Freshly Made Sketch. I'm impressed with how easy you make it sound to use the foils and they look beautiful on your card front. Thanks so much for joining us for Judy's Masculine anything goes challenge at our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure make foiling look easy, Nandini!! Love the graphic and mod vibe thaat you created! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “A Bit of Sparkle” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful card, Nandini! I've not tried the foils but you have really tempted me with this lovely design. Thanks for joining us this week at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the technique nandini, im a big fan of you.. you should know that...
    and the card looks so elegant.
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful card :) look forward to trying out foiling. thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing looks your experiments with foiling have given. Thanks for sharing your techniques and your opinions about them. I've never tried foiling but maybe I will! Ad thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches with this beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, love the look and feel of foil! And your card is wonderful! Thanks for joining us this week on Watercooler Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a striking card! Love the simplicity of it. The splash of green really gives it impact. Thanks for playing along at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty cool technique! Thanks for joining us this week at Watercooler Wednesday challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how striking! I love the dramatic black background paired with that fab green! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting technique - must try this!
    Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete